Dancing with Dark Matter .... The musings of a dancer and astrophysics PhD student

Friday, December 15, 2006

Still **Almost** Published ...

Back in August, right after Nicole gave birth to her new son, John (my adviser), her, and I finished up this paper and submitted it for publication ( http://xyz.lanl.gov/pdf/astro-ph/0608090 ), my first ever paper! However, it is still going through the referee process, though I hope that will be completed soon. The reason why it's taking so long is that we are trying to publish it in Physical Review Letters, instead of the standard Physical Review D. Both are very reputable physics journals (the standard ones, in fact), but PRL is a bit more prestigious. It is designed for projects that warrant "urgent communication", and so also can only be 4 pages long (hence "Letters"). So, the paper is actually pretty dense because of all the squishing that went in to making it only 4 pages. Hopefully it will be published soon ... I'm working on editing a second paper now on dark matter, but this time my adviser and I investigated the dark matter - normal matter interaction cross section (scattering, instead of annihilation) and how Earth can be used to constrain it. That is coming slowly, but somewhat surely, and hopefully I can submit that soon, too :-). I have given my adviser multiple drafts, and he is currently in the process of giving me chunks back with comments to edit. Woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home